Tuesday, April 16, 2013

S.N.A.F.U. or Don't call it a comeback

 So quick update. I was debating on if I should even post this or not and figured, hey these things happen in weightlifting. By now I am fairly use to things going wrong, pain, and disappointment. Such a wonderfully dark sport this is.
 Anyways, I was going for a 1 rep on power snatch three weeks ago, I hit 245(PR for Power) and when it dropped it grazed my knee. Ok grazed is probably a soft word. It was more like a 110kilo baseball bat swung by Sammy Sosa hitting the top of my patella. I actually didn't feel like it was that bad at the time and even went on to PR on power clean and jerk. The next day was a different story. I was not able to squat and have had tremendous pain since. I stopped lifting all together for two weeks. I did a couple crossfit metcons just to be doing something and though, the pain is still there, I'm slowly gaining confidence that it is something that will pass without surgery. Yesterday was my first day lifting heavy since. I did full snatch and worked up to 245#. This is 10 lb. below my PR but the important thing is I had no knee pain. I'm still a little worried about cleans and Back squats. Not sure how long it will be before I can go heavy again without pain. Hopefully soon. We will see how they go tomorrow.
 Either way, the simple act of being able to lift heavy was a huge win for me yesterday. I've been in a pretty bummed state since the injury.

Below is the video of my 245# snatch yesterday. The funny thing is, I realized yesterday that this is the heaviest snatch I have on video. Weird.


1 comment:

  1. Good post man. Injuries are always a great time for reflection and mental work on the game.

    ReplyDelete