Monday, June 10, 2013

The Power of Declaration

Around 10 months ago I made a declaration. I decided to not take the easy way out after a failure. I chose not to focus my energy on something new. Instead, I said "I am going to chase down this dragon whatever it takes". I started this blog to help me along my struggle. Yesterday, something happened that has never happened to me. I accomplished part of that goal. I Clean and Jerked 330lb. This was my 1RM Back squat when this blog was started. I know I still have 9lb. to go on snatch but this partial goal achievement is probably the most gratifying accomplishment of my athletic life. I know it doesn't win me a medal, I know it won't put me on an olympic team, I know it probably doesn't even make me the strongest in my district. None of this matters. I set out to do something, something hard, something I thought I may not achieve, and I defied my own judgement. This feels like victory.

The power of saying you are going to do something is the first step. It plants the seed of possibility, it makes everyone know that you are there and that you are serious. Remember that and don't be afraid to speak up! Yell your goals at the top of your lungs for everyone to hear. Tell the world what you are capable of. Then go prove it.



1 comment:

  1. Dude, have you read "Think & Grow Rich" recently? That philosophy of telling yourself you can and are going to do something makes possible what everyone else may see as impossible.

    ReplyDelete